Saturday, January 28

I would win the Winter X-Games.


So it's another exciting Friday night, sitting in my living room, watching the Winter X-Games. The snowboard big air is on right now, and while pondering the feasibility of me joining this sport and taking home the gold, I came to a revelation.

What is the deal with the clothing that the participants wear?

I mean, I get it, the baggy look is what's cool, it's what Burton pays those bros and bro-etts to rock during the events, but why? If I was in the X-Games, my only concern would be winning. And if I am going to win, I am going to wear the best possible gear to accomplish such a feat. This means I would be wearing skin tight, ultra thin materials made by scientists, not some snowboard company.

Look at skaters for example. In speed skating, Shani Davis isn't out there for looks; he wants to win. You don't see figure skater Johnny Weir in over sized wearing pants with fifteen cargo pockets, he wants to win too...and look fabulous. But none the less, he still wants to win.

You would think that baggy pants and a baggy coat would just get in the way, limit flexibility, reduce speed and make me sweat too much. I would be out there on the halfpipe or big air in a blue skin tight number, throwing down perfect ten after perfect ten. Why? Because I am faster, lighter more flexible and generally more talented than anyone out there. I might not look like the typical snowboarder, hanging out at Journey's, but at the end of the night, I'd have the hardware around my neck.

Leave the baggy clothing to the kids building snow forts. Time to step up your gear game, extreme winter sports.

By Aaron Brandt, former Mt. Clemens Ice Arena sledding hill frequenter.