Tuesday, February 15

Stupid computer doesn't take Jeopardy seriously

So an IBM computer named Watson went up against two of the best Jeopardy contestants of all time, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter. This computer thinks he's all that because he takes up the size of a room and basically has the power of about 2,500 PCs. So he gets on the show and starts spouting off answers. Then good ol' Watson gives this gem. See video.

Watson on 'Jeopardy': "What Is Leg?" @ Yahoo! Video

What is leg? Are you kidding me bro? Nice answer. This isn't a Saturday Night Live skit, this is the real deal. This is the big leagues, and Watson goes all "what is leg" on everyone. Just another example of why computers and robots will never take over like in I-Robot and Eagle Eye.  And why is a computer like this playing game shows?  Can't he be curing cancer, stopping global warming (or cooling, depending on the current weather) or doing my stats homework? Watson eventually got it together and dominated everyone, but why wouldn't he? Give me Google and I will win Jeopardy too. Its like winning the mile at the Olympics because you had a bike. I'm unimpressed, Watson. Go on "Minute to Win It" or even "The Price is Right" and then we'll talk. Oh, you can't play Plinko, Watson? Useless. I'll take "s words" for $1000, Alex.