Wednesday, October 14

Bus Riding Manners



I have a dilemma. Now that I am living in a apartment off campus, I take the bus to and from school every day. No big deal, I have managed to figure out what bus goes where, and which drivers to avoid. The major probelm I face is seating. On the bus, there are two seats next to each other, an aisle and then two seats on the other side. When returning from a late class, the bus is usually packed to the gills with people. I live at the end of the route, so by the time I am home, there are few people still riding. So when I start out, I usually end up sitting next to someone on a seat. The bus gradually empties, leaving full rows open. Do I remain in the seat next to the other person, or do I go for an empty seat? I feel awkward siting next to the person when seats are open, but at the same time, I don't want to offend them by leaving for the open seat. What is the correct protocol? If you have any suggestions, please respond. And if you have never ridden a bus, I recommend getting on one and experiencing what it is like to get smashed between two smelly people while trying to hold your balance as the bus careens over curbs, mailboxes and Chevy Aveos.