Friday, October 17

No History at LHN


As I meet more and more people from different schools here at Grand Valley, I become more and more aware of a common fact. Almost every other school has far more school spirit than my former school. These school have really cool traditions and histories that are nonexistent on the corner of 24 and Romeo Plank. I feel as if my Sophomore year was the peak of school spirit, as Rob Rotondo and crew started the Black Hole. Well, 3 years later, and I doubt people will even realize there is a basketball season. Apparently the open air mall is still a hot attraction. Mr. Slagel informed me that he counted a total of 12 people at the football game last Saturday. 12. There were more students at my sister's 5th grade girls' games back in the day. Pathetic. Even the crowd at homecoming was abysmal. I did not hear one cheer. I remember my freshman year when the crowd went crazy as the Cranbrook mascot came to our section. Yes, people used to cheer at games. The bleachers were not a metal extension of the parking lot, but a place to watch the games and get loud. The seniors used to sit at the front of the section and lead the students, not sit at the top and share the latest gossip about Nathan Schilling's girlfriends. I am wary of going back to a basketball game, as each year has gotten worse and worse.
I offer a solution. Change. Yes, Barack "The One" Obama's campaign slogan applies to what once was a proud school spirit tradition. The whole Mustang attitude needs to be changes. Next year you all will be moving to a new conference, with new opponents. Its time to get proud, get cocky, and get fired up about you school. In other wards, turn off Facebook, get off your phone, take off your ridiculous torn Hollister shirt and show you care about being a Mustang. Sure, it might be a down year, but the class of 09 will graduate, and the school can continue its sports success.
I know I sound harsh, but LHN is one of the strangest schools around when it comes to school spirit. LHN should have incredible spirit, yet Farmada, er, Armada consistently out cheers us. As basketball season approaches, I hope at least a few seniors step up and fire up the school.If that fails, I heard the Freshman and Sophomores were the loudest at the pep rally this year; the Black Hole Alumni Committee (yes, it exists) may endorse an underclassmen to lead the masses (all 12 of you). Class of 12 baby.
In other news, Barack Obama just walked on water and I had pizza for lunch and dinner today. Stay tuned for danger, Aaron